Saturday, September 19, 2015

Albert Squares

Albert Squares have been on my to do list for a long time.  I'm glad I finally gave theses a try.  The currants in them are really nice and next time I will try it with the optional lemon zest on top as I think that would be a really nice addition.  I read many comments that the cake was dry so I was very cautious and checked it early to make sure I got it out of the oven as soon as a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake cake out clean.  It is a drier crumb than some, so you will want to remove it from the oven as soon as it is done. I got two days out of it before I would consider the cake to be dry.  I have tinted the icing pink...a little more than intended as the food colouring spilled out unexpectedly.  Although not traditional...I thought it was pretty. This was a simple and sweet slice...really nice with a cup of tea. 

I've used the recipe from Edmonds Cookery Book which is outlined below if you'd like to give it a try.

Albert Squares

125g butter (about 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp golden syrup (or substitute with corn syrup)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup currants
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk

Cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in syrup and vanilla.  Fold in the currants. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl.  Fold the sifted ingredient into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.  Spread into a greased 20cmX 30 cm baking pan.  Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.  Timing will depend on your oven so start checking with a toothpick after 20 minutes...continuing to bake until the inserted toothpick comes out clean..  Remove pan to rack to cool cake completely before icing.

Icing
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
enough water to make a spreadable icing
3 Tbsp coconut
lemon rind, finely grated (optional)

Mix icing sugar with vanilla and enough water to make a spreadable icing.  Ice the cooled cake and sprinkle with coconut and with optional lemon zest if desired.

1 comment:

West Nile Virus said...

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun reading it. :-)