Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rhubarb Custard Bars

Today is the last day of school here, and I wanted to send in a little something for the staff to say thank you for all their work this past year.  It has been a trying year here to say the least.  With the teacher's contract negotiations going on, normal routines were disrupted and an embarrassing lack of communication caused frustration and friction for a lot of people.  Hopefully all will be settled for the start of the new school year in September. I chose to try my second batch of Rhubarb Custard Bars.  I neglected to take a photo when I made the first batch the weekend before last for Ike's scouting group.  It was pretty well received and I had heaps more rhubarb so I thought I'd give myself another chance to take a photo.  Well I did manage to take one last night while the bottom  layers were just about to go back into the oven, but I did not get to take one with the topping layer on.  When I make it again, perhaps I'll add a finished photo for the sake of completeness.  Just so you have an idea of how it tastes......the bottom is sort of shortbreadish, with a rhubarb custard middle layer.......all topped off with a cream cheese frosting that is significantly lightened up with the addition of whipped cream.  It is definitely not low in calories........and is most definitely on my make again list.....so another photo will come along some day.
Rhubarb Custard Bars
Pastry
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter

Filling
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
7 tbsp flour
1 cup whipping cream
3 beaten eggs
5 cups rhubarb

Topping
1 (8oz package) cream cheese softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp orange extract
1 cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to  350F. and grease a 9X13" pan.
Cut pastry ingredients together until the size of coarse crumbs.  Press lightly into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
While the pastry bakes,  Combine sugar, nutmeg, and flour.  Whisk in cream and beaten eggs.  Fold in the rhubarb.  Pour this mixture over the baked crust and return to the oven to bake for another 40-45 minutes or until the custard is set (when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean).
Cool completely.
Beat the cream cheese, sugar and extract together until smooth.  In another bowl whip the cream, and then fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.  Spread this onto the completely cooled cake and store in the refrigerator.

No comments: