Saturday, March 10, 2012

Snickerdoodles....the second try

It has been a quiet Saturday morning here as Ike is off camping with his scouting group.  The camp they are using on this outing is very close....maybe only a 15-20 minute drive from our front door.  We were asked to send along some type of snack to share, and since his departure Friday after work was going to be a little rushed, I decided to make Chocolate Puffed Wheat Squares.  They are quick and easy and most kids like them.  After popping out two pans of those, I decided to make the dough....at least, for Snickerdoodles.  I had made these quite a few years ago and did not really care for them too much.  Since I had, earlier this week, been discussing these cookies with a lady who declared them to be her all time favourite cookie....I decided to give them one more try.  From my discussion with the Snickerdoodle lover I sort of figured that I must have over baked mine on my initial try.  So here I go again, and I'm really glad I did.  When baked with a crisp exterior (just as the outside edges begin to brown) and  chewy interior.....they are pretty addictive.  Essentially they are a sugar cookie that is not rolled and cut.  What could be easier??  I was completely out of cinnamon, so I ended up using poudre douce instead which is predominantly cinnamon anyway.  Lots of baking going on this weekend....and this is my start.  I hope your weekend is going well!
Snickerdoodles (adapted from AllRecipes.com)
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Roll cookies in a mixture of:
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375F. Cream butter and sugar until smooth, add vanilla.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Mix all dry ingredients together and mix into creamed mixture.  Chill dough 1 hour.  Roll in to 1 1/2 inch balls, and roll those balls of dough into the a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.  Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.  Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a glass only slightly.  Set timer for 7 minutes.  Remove from oven when cookies are beginning to brown on the edges, somewhere between 7-10 minutes depending on your oven.  Let sit one minute on cookie sheets before transferring to racks to cool completely.

No comments: