Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Mango Loaf

This little loaf recipe has been on my to do list for a little while now.  My mum has been telling me about it for quite some time now.  As each recipe makes two loaves....she has made over 40 loaves of this now.  Well...I just had to try it now didn't I??  Last weekend as part of my very productive weekend....I had a chance to give it a try, and it was really quite yummy!  I am planning to make it again and I have already got another can of mango waiting...so I'll be ready.  Although it contains mango, it is not a very over powering flavour....and the little cake is 'just enough' in terms of sweetness and flavour.  An interesting little loaf which freezes well and requires no icing!  That's a pretty handy recipe to keep in your little recipe box....I'd say!
We are at another weekend again and here's to hoping that it will be as productive as last weekend was!  I did manage to get a little more work done on my little crochet project......Well at least I have not given up and tucked it away....so that's good right??  More on that later...  If you are in need of a little something new to try in the way of baking....Give this mango loaf a try......I think you will like it!

MANGO NUT LOAF
2 cups white flour                     
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs beaten frothy                     
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 c. reserved liquid juice from canned mango
1  (15 ounce) can mangoes, drained and chopped in chunks (reserve the drained liquid)
12 dates, Chopped and simmered for a few minutes in water then drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, soda, salt and cinnamon. Beat eggs with whisk till thick and frothy. Add oil, vanilla, mango juice. Stir into flour mixture. Stir till just moistened. Fold in mangoes, chopped dates, chopped walnuts into batter just to incorporate.
Spray two 5 x 7 bread tins with pam. Line parchment paper in each tin. Spoon batter equally into both tins. Bake 350 degrees 50 minutes (in my oven)

** the top will split slightly when loaves are done.
** cut parchment paper so you have two handles on each side of loaf tin to pull loaves out of tins when removed from oven.
** loaves are done when you press on top and it feels firm and the loaves spring back.

No comments: