Saturday, August 28, 2010

Back to School Breakfasts

Back to school in my house means that mornings are a bit rushed.  I am not at all a big fan of cold cereal for breakfast although Ike will ask for it once and a while.  I do insist that that he eats a hot cereal once per week.....even though I'm not sure if nutritionally he's better of with hot cereal......in my head it just seems more filling....you know, in its stick to your ribbyness.  So at least 3 mornings per week Ike has a hot breakfast before he sets off for school.  I save the cold cereal mornings for mornings when I feeling like I'm running out of time.  Most mornings Ike's breakfast doesn't even take 10 minutes to make......  And I was amazed to learn that you can scramble an egg in about 45 seconds in your microwave.  Isn't technology wonderful!  If we have buns to use up or bread is going stale...chances are Ike will be having french toast. ( As buns go stale we usually keep them in the freezer for french toast)  If we have a huge pile of pancakes on the weekend....leftovers are frozen in ziploc bags for a quick midweek breakfast.  If we have english muffins on the shelf.....chance are good Ike will be eating an 'Egg McMuffin'.  By the way...home made 'egg McMuffins' freeze very well, but need to be defrosted slowly so you don't end up with scorching hot spots and frozen spots in your breakfast sandwich.  With pancakes and french toast we use fruit syrups since Ike likes them better than maple syrup.  Ike's favourite breakfast item changes from time to time and right now his favourite is a 'one eye'.  (pictured above) That's a sunny side up egg on a slice of toast with the edges cut off into toast soldiers for dipping.  Breakfast never causes too much of a problem here because Ike loves breakfast foods.  

Ike's Favourite Breakfast foods:
One Eye
Scrambled egg McMuffin sandwich
Toasted Bacon, Tomato and Cheese Sandwich with Mayo
French toast (cut each slice into 3 strips or cut out with cookie cutters)
Buttermilk Pancakes with fruit syrup
German Oven Pancakes with apples
Dipping Egg N Toast (Sunny Side up Eggs)
Hot Oatmeal Cereal
Scrambled Egg in a Nest
Fruit cocktail and toast
Assorted Cold Cereal
Scrambled Eggs in the microwave with Salsa and cheese and toast

Any of the egg, pancake or french toast choices above would likely be accompanied by bacon, sausages, ham or even fried summer sausage or an octopus wiener........and some cut up fresh fruit or fried apples with cinnamon......just depends what we have on hand.

5 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What lovely breakfasts you make for him. He's a lucky boy. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

LittleRed said...

Thanks for stopping by Mary. I'll be waiting to see your next fabulous meal.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm not a fan of cold cereal for breakfast either! Aren't you a great mum making all of those great meals! :D

Snowflowers Mum said...

I saw that egg and the toast soldiers and I have to wonder if there's a British connection? I just found your blog through the lunchy bloggy contest thing this weekend. Must say I'm enjoying it!!

laurie said...

I just found your blog too...I enjoyed reading your breakfast post!