Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kefir Rhubarb Streusel Muffins

Blogger up and changed their templates just as I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my look and layout......doesn't that just figure:)  You wouldn't believe how many hours you can fritter away trying this template with that colour......well.....I'm still playing.  I apologize for not knowing what I'm doing......there is a lot more of that to come.  After hours of positively wasted time.....I did manage to get outside (a beautiful day it was) and do quite a bit of yard work.  It was a very unsafe feeling wielding an electric hedge clipper wearing only a sun dress and thongs (I mean the shoes....not the underwear....but yes I had underwear on too).  I had to be very mindful not to lower the vibrating blade down too low as it made me worry for my pedicure....and my toes.  Too lazy to run in and change.  
I had spent some time earlier in the morning over a friends house who has the most amazing perennial gardens ever.....I mean OMG....I should have taken my camera.  I was over there to 'SHOP' for some perennials to transplant over to my yard....I'm  afraid I've left her with quite a list....now I just need to find space to put them all. 
Yard work out of the way, I took a try at a recipe which promised to be the most delicious  muffin I've ever laid a taste bud to and it also called for buttermilk (I'll be using Kefir) and rhubarb (fresh from the garden).  While it was not the best muffin I'd ever tasted....with some work...I bet it could be, so I'm keeping the recipe to fiddle with.  The texture of the muffin was fabulous, but I found the sugar level way too low for a rhubarb muffin.  It may be fine with a sweeter fruit like a blueberry....but the tart rhubarb needs more sugar....I'm guessing 1/2 cup more.....at least.  Regardless....this is not a sweet muffin recipe.....so compare it to ones you might normally make for a sweetness comparison.  Also the amount of fruit called for did not leave the muffins overflowing with fruitiness.  I would add 1/4 cup more fruit than is listed the next time.  

Rhubarb Kefir Muffins
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
1 egg beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup kefir
2 1/2 cup flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups rhubarb (or other fruit)

Topping
1 tbsp cold butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
Preheat oven to 400F and line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.  Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.  In another bowl  combine the oil, sugar, orange zest, and the lightly beaten egg.  Once combined, stir in the milk kefir and the vanilla.  Add this wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined.  Batter should be stiff enough to scoop and not be runny.  Add a few tbsp extra flower if necessary.  Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups .....cups will be very full. (see second photo...that is unbaked) Sprinkle tops with lots of streusel topping and bake for 15 minutes.  Reduce temperature to 350F and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.  Muffins are done when tops spring back when touched.  Check at least 5 minutes before the end of recommended cooking time just in case your oven is hotter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look so tasty! And I love your new background, it's so pretty and cheerful!! I'm thinking about making chocolate kefir, but I don't know...it might be too tangy and weird.

LittleRed said...

Thanks....I'll see if the background grows on me for a little while. I tried the chocolate frozen yogurt with the kefir and it does have that weird tangy taste....but i think frozen yogurt would as well. I used it to make milkshakes with.