Thursday, February 4, 2010

Yoyo Biscuits

Poor Ike was the only kid to show up for the Parent Advisory Council meeting at the school last night:( He always wants to go since the kids get to use the computer room during the meeting .......and there are usually lots of kids there= lots of fun. Not so, last night....poor kid. In need of a new bake up for the meeting....I decided to try a recipe suggested by a previous blog visitor. I tried the Yoyo recipe from the Edmonds Cookery Book. After glancing at the recipe....I saw that they are very much looking like a short bread cookie, prettied up a bit by joining two cookies with a bit of butter cream. Both the cookie and the frosting were flavoured with custard powder. The custard powder (1/4 cup of it) also provided the cornstarch to the cookie that made me think of short bread. The cookie is a nice shortbread, and the frosting added a bit of extra interest. I found the single recipe made only 14 completed cookies for me instead of the 20 suggested in the recipe, so I made a double batch. I would definitely make these much smaller next time with about 1 level tsp of dough each, to make them easier to eat. We ended up pulling them apart to eat them like an Oreo. I flavoured half of the frosting with raspberry jam and a pinch of red colouring to pink them up. If you like short bread, you will most likely like these, and they are a nice shortbread.

If you'd like to give them a go, here is the recipe. New teapot set and cup and saucer set from ebay........... and a new pot holder from the thrift shops.........I know.....I need to stop:) So far the consensus from the short bread likers is two thumbs up!

Yoyos
175 g butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups four
1/4 cup custard powder

Butter Filling
50g butter , softened
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp custard powder

Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Sift flour and custard powder together. Mix sifted ingredients into creamed mixture. Roll teaspoonful of mixture into balls. Place on a cookie sheet and flatten each ball with a fork. Bake 180C for 15-20 minutes. When cold, sandwich together in twos with Butter Filling.

Butter Filling
Beat all ingredients together until well blended.

note: I baked at 350F for about 10 minutes, removing once there was a slight goldening on some of the cookies. Bake too long and they will become sandy and dry, so do remove them at the first signs of browning.

6 comments:

carole brungar said...

OMG!!! These are my all time favorites!! Yours look VERY tasty! mmmmmm
Oh and I always make double batches when I'm making recipes from the Edmonds cook book. :)

noreen said...

looks so yummy.
I had to laugh about you having to stop getting new tea stuff. My daughter wants a real tea party for her bday next month. Real tea from real teapots, fancy cups, fancy plates and sugar cubes (still can't fing sugar tongs!) I am now addicted to hunting the thrift shops, I go more than once a week now!

noreen said...

Oh she also would love loose tea and use those tea strainers you put over a cup but the only ones I could find at $7 each and I am not buying 8 (# of guests including her and her sister for her party), it wpuld be too much. Unless I find some at a thrift shop or ebay for cheap it will have to be tea bags

LittleRed said...

Thanks Carole...I can see why you'd need a double batch and will too next time I make them.
Oh Noreen, a tea party will be so much fun to have. You can get sugar tongs on ebay...will take some time though, but you can get new ones although not fancy ones....I think fox run makes some. I picked one up at Stokes Kitchen stores here in town for only a dollar or two. You must post about your party....have fun shopping for it:)

Lori said...

Yum- how cute they are!

LittleRed said...

Thanks Lori:) I like that the frosting dresses them up a little.