Thursday, January 28, 2010

Starbucks Felt Coffee Cozy

Here we go with another felt coffee cozy. This time, for another swap-bot coffee cozy swap. The swap provided a pattern to help us out if we didn't have a plan. I just used a cardboard coffee sleeve from Starbucks as a template........and it looks like that's just what this person whos pattern was referenced did too....so if you don't have a cardboard sleeve to trace......go here and use this printable one...it's pretty much exactly the same as the Starbucks sleeve in size and shape and the instructions are there to make one of all fabric prints rather than using felt as I have.
I used some blue felted Melton cloth for the outside cut out exactly the size of the template, (it requires no seam allowance as its cut edges will not unravel) and lined the inside with a cotton print fabric which I cut 1/4 inch larger than the cardboard (or printed) template.
I placed the template down on the wrong side of the cotton fabric and turned the 1/4 inch seam allowance over the template and steamed it in place, making it the exact shape as the template....clipping curves.
Then I removed the template and placed the two fabrics wrong sides together and top stitched them together near the outside edge. (They should be exactly the same size now) At this point I added on some rick rack....because I like rick rack:).
To join the two short ends together, I just overlapped and top stitched in place. I have in the past joined the two ends using buttons and button holes like with this cozy.....but this one I just sewed together. Before assembling, I used some fabric applique and embroidery to decorate the front.
Can't get enough of those little birds.....I know I should really come up with something new! Another quick and easy project and a good little gift for teacher or friend:)

4 comments:

Marybeth said...

How adorable! Great work!

Unknown said...

Well, that is just awesome.
I have bookmarked this for a future date when I start thinking about little gifts to make for holidays. A lot of coffee drinkers on my gift list.

LittleRed said...

Thank you....I'm thinking of making a Valentine themed one for my son's teacher next:)

Anonymous said...

Ι’m not that much of а оnline гeaԁer to be honest but your sitеѕ really nіce,
keep it up! Ι'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road. Many thanks
Feel free to visit my web blog :: Look At This