Thursday, March 26, 2009

Disappearing Afghan Biscuits

I finally got some corn flakes and was able to try the Afghan Biscuit recipe from the Edmonds Cookery Book last night. It would appear that they are a New Zealand and Australia staple cookie....kind of like chocolate chip over in North America. I had heard of them many years ago, but had never seen a picture of them so I had no idea what they looked like or what they contained for ingredients. The name had never appealed to me as something appetizing....so I never looked any further into it. Well lucky me that my good friend got me this cook book because Afghans are YUMMY! They are an easy, quick bake up too! After making the dough and reading the next direction to fold in the corn flakes.....I was a little bewildered as to how one would fold delicate and breakable corn flakes into a fairly stiff cookie dough. I was extremely careful not to break any more flakes than I absolutely needed to to distribute them into the dough. Perhaps my dough was too stiff?? No idea.....but I will definitely be making these again.....maybe for the next PAC meeting? The little bit of frosting dressed them up just enough to be a presentable baked good too! End of the story is ....loved them....will make them again ....and probably again..... and maybe even again. The batch made 30 cookies as promised by the recipe when using a rounded teaspoonful of dough and when made without the nut topping is suitable for my kid's nut free school:)

Afghans

200 g butter (about 1 cup), softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups corn flakes
walnuts, optional for topping
Chocolate Icing (See Below)

Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Sift the flour and cocoa. Stir into creamed mixture. Fold in cornflakes. Spoon mounds of mixture onto a greased cookie sheet, gently pressing together. Bake 180 C (325 F) or until set. When cool, ice with chocolate icing and top with walnuts if desired.

Afghan Slice

In a hurry??? Press the afghan mixture into a 20X30 cm baking tin. Bake at 180C for 25 minutes or until set. When cool, ice with Chocolate icing.

Chocolate Icing
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 tsp butter, softened
2 tbsp water, (approximately)
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cocoa

Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add butter. Add sufficient water to mix to a spreadable consistency. Flavour with vanilla essence.

Update! These cookies disappeared so fast that another batch has been requested...and I've just set out the butter to soften now!
Tried the recipe adding a little more butter. It did make the corn flakes easier to fold into the batter, but I did not like how it made the cookie more crumbly like a short bread. I will stick with 1 cup of butter which made a more brownie like texture. Can't stop eating these:(

8 comments:

PostcardNerd said...

I've never heard of these but they look so tasty. Thanks so much for the recipe I will definitely be making them in the future.


krstawrdtravels - Swap-Bot

Kirsten B. said...

those look yummy.. i may have to try them sometimes
craftymomme08@swapbot

Gecko said...

OHHH these sound DELICIOUS! I was jumping around getting ingredients when I remembered I can't used gluten (cornflakes)...hmm will have to track down some gluten free flakes.

I've never heard of them either to be honest, real Aussie I am! =P

Anonymous said...

its a new zealand recipe, so i dont expect u'd know them!!

Anonymous said...

These are definitely a NZ favourite. However, the icing is traditionally put on top of the Afghan, rather than spread the way you have it. And why would you put vanilla into a chocolate icing. Try the one from the Edmonds recipe book.
Then have a go at making yo-yoes!

LittleRed said...

Yes my icing was a little runny so it did run down the sides a bit, believe me it did not require spreading. Fortunately I was OK with the extra icing. Next time I'll have to add a bit more icing sugar. As for the vanilla....I used the suggested recipe in the Edmond's recipe book exactly as written and it did include vanilla which is a very common ingredient in chocolate recipes...you should try it! I will have to add these Yoyos to my list:)

Laraine said...

I've made Afghans many times. But I don't think I'd like to forgo the half walnut!

LittleRed said...

I'd like the walnuts as well! But unfortunately, it is not possible to send them to school with nuts included.