Sunday, January 4, 2009

OMG! It's 2009 Already:)

Wow....another year all gone. Did I accomplish all that I had hoped for in 2008?? Well that knowledge would assume much more organizational skill than I think I actually possess:( I am actually uncertain of how my organizational abilities would pan out in fact. I am a huge list maker.....that much is certain....but it would likely be helpful if my lists were all contained in one handy little notebook rather than on last weeks grocery slip....or last months Visa statement....or the envelope it came in. There really would be a market for such a book.....I should look into it!

With all the holiday time and late morning breakfasts that the Christmas season brings.....I have had good opportunity to use one of my very favourite kitchen things. Any idea what it is? Well I won't keep you wondering......It's my Waring Pro Flip Belgian Waffle Maker. I can honestly say that it is probably to date the funnest Kitchen gadget I purchased EVER! (Not the most practical or even the most often used!) I actually got it with the points program at my local grocery store so it sort of feels like it was free....even though I know it wasn't. Well, I spend a lot of time tying to locate the recipe booklet that came with it more often than not.....So here I am posting the two basic recipes that I use to make Belgian Waffles with it. Now I won't have to look for that pesky booklet any more. I'll just have to hope my Internet server is running when I need it. As a testimonial to anyone thinking of buying one.....we just love it. Now I wouldn't recommend you eat them every day, but once in a while they are great and they really kick ass on regular waffles any day of the week. On the down side of it does take up quite a bit of space and unless you plan to use it everyday, you probably don't want to devote permanent counter space to it.........Unless you just want to make the neighbours jealous......and that's just harmless fun now isn't it?? Could you live without one?? Certainly! But if you feel like a treat and you have an appreciation for breakfast foods.....(I could it it for every meal...but that's just me)...it sure is nice to have especially for that special breakfast when company is visiting.





Classic Belgian Waffles
(batter needs to sit for about and hour before using this one)
1 1/2 cups water
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one packet)
3 cups sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, separated (for 3 yolks and 1 egg white)
1/3 cup sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole milk

Heat half of the water to lukewarm, 105°-110°F. Dissolve the yeast in the water with a pinch of sugar; let stand for 5-10 minutes, until the mixture begins to foam.
Put the flour and salt into the large bowl; stir to blend and reserve. Add the egg yolks, one of the egg whites, and remaining sugar to the yeast mixture; stir to blend. Add the remaining water, milk, melted butter, oil, and vanilla; stir until the mixture is smooth. Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and beat until the mixture is smooth.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form when removing the mixer. Fold the egg whites gently into the Belgian waffle batter. Let the batter stand for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Helpful Hint
Setting #4 for the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker achieves a golden brown baked Belgian waffle. You can adjust the browning control if you prefer lighter or darker waffles.
Preheat your waffle maker on your preferred setting (use setting #4 for the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker); the ready indicator light will turn on when preheated (the green indicator light for the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker).
For best results, do not open the waffle maker during cooking of the Belgian waffle recipe. Doing so will offset the timing mechanism.




Good Night Waffles
(Most of the minimal preparation is done the night before)

1/2 cup lukewarm (105°F) water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 yeast packet)
2 cups whole milk, warmed (about 105°F)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

The night before, or at least 8 hours before baking, combine the warm water, granulated sugar, and yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, until foamy. Stir in the warm milk, melted butter, and salt. Beat in the flour until smooth (this may be done using a hand mixer on low speed).
Wrap bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand overnight (or for 8 hours) on the countertop - do not refrigerate.
Baking the Belgian waffle.
Helpful Hint
Setting #4 for the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker achieves a golden brown baked Belgian waffle. You can adjust the browning control if you prefer lighter or darker waffles.
When ready to bake, preheat your waffle maker on your preferred setting (use setting #4 for the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker); the ready indicator light will turn on when preheated (the green indicator light for the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker).
For best results, do not open the waffle maker during cooking of the Belgian waffle recipe. Doing so will offset the timing mechanism.
While the waffle maker is heating, stir the eggs, vanilla extract, and baking soda into the batter.


I always use instant rise yeast mixed in with the dry ingredients for this and have never had any trouble.

No comments: