Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Saskatoon Pie Recipe

Just in case you are interested........I got this recipe from my neighbour, Tana, and it is similar to others found on the Internet. I think that this method of making the pie filling separately rather than just mixing the berries with the flour/ sugar mixture creates a more uniform filling. I would never do it the other way again!

Pie Filling
4 cups Saskatoons (Service Berries)
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3 T cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
1 T butter

Cook two cups of the Saskatoon berries in the water just until boiling. Reduce the amount of water if using frozen berries. Mix cornstarch and sugar together in a separate bowl, and pour into heated berries while stirring constantly. Let bubble until clear. Remove from heat and add remaining 2 cups of berries, lemon juice, and butter. Stir to mix in and set aside to cool while you make your pie crust. Makes enough to fill one 8 or 9 inch regular pie shell, but not a deep dish one.

I use a modified Martha Steward pastry recipe and like her method of using the food processor to combine the ingredients.

Pastry for One Double Crust Pie Shell

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 t sugar
1/2 cup lard
1/2 cup hard margarine or butter
1/2 cup ice water

Cut lard, margarine and butter (which ever you are using) into 1 inch cubes and let sit in the freezer to chill. Measure all dry ingredients into the bowl of your food processor and cool in refrigerator. Once you are ready to start, add the cubes of lard and butter to the flour mixture in the food processor and process by pulsing the processor just long enough to cut in the butter and lard. This should take only 5 seconds. Then you are ready to add in the ice water. You may not require all of the water. I keep my ice cold water in a freezer mug, to keep it extra cold. With the machine running add in the water in a slow stream. You will know when you have added enough when you can pick up a tablespoon of dough form the processor and it stays together when you squeeze it. Usually I do not need the last tablespoon of water. But I usually add it because I always think it looks too dry. My mistake, since adding too much water will likely develop the gluten in the flour making my pie crust a little tougher than it needs to be. One of these days I'll learn. Now your dough is done. Take two pieces of plastic wrap and divide the dough into two amounts. Press one half into a ball with your hands and flatten it into a disc on the plastic wrap and cover it by wrapping it up nice and tight with the plastic wrap. Do the same with the other and place these discs in the fridge to keep cold until you are ready to roll your dough.
Once you're ready. Roll out the dough for the bottom crust, lay it in your pie plate, prick the bottom crust several times with a fork and set aside. Roll your top crust out and assemble your pie. Pour your filling into the bottom crust, top with the top crust, seal the edges and brush top with an egg wash and a sprinkle of sugar and you're done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to trying this new pie making method once berry season arrives here. I won't be dodging any bears though! BTW, I love perusing your blog - makes me feel at home :)