Sunday, August 3, 2008

Back to Baking

After a bit of a break from cooking, I've started to feel the need to bake something. I've started on a bit of a cooking/baking spree. I've been thinking about asking to join the Daring Bakers as a way to prompt myself to try something new each month..... Anyway, here is my latest baking result which I brought into the local Paper Mill. I do tend to give a lot of my baking away since a whole batch is often more than I'd like sitting around my house........as it will inevitably end up on my ass. Besides, if I fatten up everyone around me, I won't feel so bad if I gain a few pounds.......right??? I have never been a fan of oatmeal raisin cookies, which is the request I got for baking from the above mentioned Pulp Mill, so I made a bit of a compromise. They are Chocolate Chip and Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies, and I think they are pretty good too.




Chocolate Chip & Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


  • 2 cups flour

  • 1 tsp baking powder

  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1 cup softened butter or margarine

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • 2 cups rolled oats

  • 1 cup chocolate chips

  • 1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 F . Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and beat in one at a time and stir in vanilla. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and stir in. Add in flour and work in with wooden spoon until all flour is worked in. Add oats, chocolate chips and cranberries. Stir to mix all in. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto nonstick or prepared cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to turn golden . Let cookies sit on cookie sheets for a few minutes before removing to cool completely on wire racks. These cookies are also good with pecans or walnuts added, and they keep very well in a covered tin for about 4-5 days.

3 comments:

Beck said...

Oh my goodness, those sound DELICIOUS!
Thank you so much for entering my Kitchen Party giveaway!

Gecko said...

Damn, I can't make these. I've never made cookies or biscuits in my life, but I really want to. I know I should just Google some recipes but I really want something tried and tested by someone I know. These are (also) making my mouth water, but BP has Coeliac Disease (allergic to Gluten = oats) so I can't make these. If you have any that don't include oats could you maybe post those recipes? Flour is okay I can get Gluten Free flour.

...might just save this recipe for later though, and hide them from BP...

LittleRed said...

OK, here's my suggestion.... Go have a look at www.allrecipes.com and search for gluten free recipes. I love this site because you can read the ratings of people who have actually tried the recipes. If over 20 people have left good reviews then I feel safe to try it. There will be a recipe there for flourless chocolate cake which I've always wanted to try....it sounds so good! Also go to the Daring Bakers Blog Roll (there is a link on my favourite web sites post I think) and go to the end of the list where there will be a subgroup of alternative bakers. There is a group of gluten free bakers, and there are links to their blogs. One of them that I looked at is Gluten A Go Go, and it looks good. Most of the references I found concerning Celiacs Disease said that Pure Oats would be ok for MOST people with Celiacs Disease, but what do I know. Also Bean from swapbot has a blog called Coyote Craft where she does post some gluten free recipes since she has Celiacs Disease as well. I would feel very comfortable to try recipes from any of these sources, and if I try anything that I think will work for you, I'll post it. Thanks for stopping in:)