Tuesday, March 4, 2008

If I Can Amigurumi.....Monkeys Can


Wow, I have not crocheted since I was about 13 I think. But there was this Amigurumi swap on swapbot that interested me because those little guys are so darned cute it's rediculous! Needless to say, since I am posting this, I decided to enter the swap. I found free patterns at Lion Brand's site, although I have read comments that the Lion Brand patterns are not "True Amigurumi", but they were cute enough for me. I should also say that I have never read a pattern for crochet, as the afghan I made as a kid was taught to me by my grama, so I don't know all the names of the stitches. In any case the pattern I chose was as simple as it could get, thank goodness.......I printed out two patterns, the pig and the octopus and started out making them both. I could not get Lion Brand yarn since for some reason they stopped selling at the Walmart here so I used Bernat acrylic worsted weight yarn or so I thought. Turns out my pig will be larger than anticipated because I accidentally bought the softee chunky when I should have went for the regular stuff (Satin). Oops, my pig is a little big. But I'll finish him and he'll be pretty cute I think. I did go back and buy the proper size when I figured out my error and got some purple to make the octopus. And here he is. Let me know if you can think of a good name. Out of the 100g ball I started with, I have 56g remaining, so there's enough to make him a relative. Wahoo!

3 comments:

Yes It's Me :) said...

I think "Inky" would be a good name :)

Anonymous said...

he is soooooo cute!

YarnTails said...

I just wanted to comment on your comment about the Lion Brand patterns not be "real amigurumi". The LB patterns that are made in pieces like triangles, rectangles or squares, and then sewn together are the ones people are calling the not real amigurumi. Amigurumi is traditionally something that is crocheted "in the round". Your octopus and piggy are both done in the round, so they are the real thing!